When a patient has an outstanding balance on their account, the most effective method to resolve the situation is to speak with them by phone. By implementing the following strategies, you can create a confident and successful collection call.
- Decrease the number of collection calls required by receiving payment before the patient leaves and collecting payments in full.
- Have a specific team member oversee and report on the collection process.
- Follow up in a timely manner.
- Promptly email patients unpaid invoices.
- Avoid leaving voicemails.
- Have records handy with account details.
- Actively listen to the patient and let them acknowledge the debt.
- Make it easy for patients to pay you by:
- Taking credit card payments over the phone.
- Accepting e-transfers.
- Sending invoices directly from Visual-Eyes with a ‘pay online now’ option.
- Be empathetic.
- Have the patient commit to a specific payment plan.
Regardless of how professionally you handle the call, patients might be upset, embarrassed, or frustrated. Keep in mind, your goal is not only to collect payment, but also to rectify any discrepancies and to maintain or repair the relationship with your patient.